Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labour Day Means You Work Here

Hi hi. Before my American comrades even woke up yesterday, I had finished all my first day classes. Weird! Now, by the time I finish my second day of classes, most will not even have woken up to begin their FIRST. No labour day in Japan. Oh wells.

I managed to get myself to school using the Tokyo subway without getting lost! If you think trying to figure out the NY subway is difficult ( it isn't too bad once you do it a few times ) or the Philly subway system ( the main lines just go up and down and then left to right... ) than do not attempt Tokyo system unless you have some getting-lost time to spare. There are TWO different systems owned by two different companies and both are massive. Swirl in that most of the signs are in Japanese, and you've got a confusion stew. By it's not too bad I suppose. Hopefully this weekend I will attempt to go to Shibuya and Harajuku. Oh and downtown Shinjuku again. Technically, we live in the ward of Shinjuku but Takadanobaba is so big, that it's almost it's own little ward.

After getting to school, I of course had my classes. It's a very long day that could get daunting as the semester continues.

10:30 - 11:30 I have "Russian Avant-Garde". It's an Art History course discussing the abstract / crazy Russian art pre-World War II, revolution, Soviet, and maybe post-Soviet. Should be good. The professor seems understanding and friendly. She's English as a Second Language with a noticeable accent and there are many ESL students in there of an Asian persuasion so I wonder if that will be difficult for them.

12:40 - 1:40 is Japan Today. It's a modern history course. The professor wrote a series of books and seems to love the topic and his non-stop talking did not bore me and made time go by quickly. Reminds me a bit of High School 'social studies' courses ( which I loved FYI ).

4:50 - 5:50 Japanese intermediate begins. After what seemed like an eternity in between classes ( two hours and twenty minutes ) I had to take an exam to see where I stand in Japanese. It was really hard... so we'll see. I really want to drop this class because: a) I took more classes than suggested b) It's a really draining class c) It's really late in the day. I shouldn't drop it because it's basically Japanese and what better time and place to learn Japanese than now. Ugh ugh.

After that, I came home and Hannah and I hunted down a curry place to eat. We also saw a bubble tea restaurant and a pudding shop. How fun!

Photos:

Part of my on-going drink experimentation, I tried this Mitsuya Cider. The liquid is clear so I wasn't sure if it was just going to be water. It turned out to be a less sweet and really delicious version of Sprite. I couldn't place the flavor until I eventually wikipedia-ed it.


Breakfast yesterday. A big spongy piece of bread with sugar on top and choco swirled all about. Also, the usual banana and coffee.


This type of brown curry is basically EVERYWHERE. It's almost always served with the curry on one side, rice on the other. Then there are bunch of toppings and stuff you can get. I got eggplant and it was so so so good.


Japanese TV shows are so weird.
Japanese olympic softball team player getting kissed by these chefs. It's some complicated show where the interviewees sit on the top of this stage and talk with the interviewer while two chefs cook down below. After the interview wraps up, the interviewees eat and decide which they like best. It's kind of fun to watch...


Wha-bam! Outta nowhere, Will Smith and Charlize Theron show up.

Oh Tokyo, Je T'aime.

No comments: